Updated January, 2020
Find out what a side by side comparison of these two portable microdermabrasion machines revealed about the actual over all cost of using microdermabrasion at home and why it is a wise choice to research all the expenditures involved with using a microdermabrasion machine to keep your skin glowing and radiant.
I evaluated some of the most important of the various features these two units had to offer including guarantee, methods of exfoliation, performance factors, warranty, sanitation options, maintenance and cost of replacements. This is what I found:
- Both units came with a 30 day, risk free guarantee. This is important because it is difficult to know how your skin may respond to mechanical exfoliation and it is always nice to have the option of returning your unit without hassle if your skin does not respond positively to microdermabrasion, or the method used by the device to achieve the exfoliation.
- These tools use very different methods to exfoliate your skin. RejuvadermMD exfoliates your skin using professional grade diamond tips that are designed to last 6 months to a year with regular use. It is recommended to use the unit 3 to 5 times per week, so you can expect to get 162 to 270 uses out of each tip before needing to purchase a replacement. These diamond tips are also sanitizable, which means they can be cleaned in between each use using antibacterial soap and a soft bristled brush to keep your tools germ free clear away the dead skin cells that accumulate on the tip in during treatments. You can also use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with warm soapy water every 2 to 3 months to cleanse and restore the diamond tips to like new condition.
- PMD uses aluminum oxide crystal discs to achieve exfoliation of the skin. This method is a bit outdated and not as effective as the method used by RejuvadermMD. PMD’s tips only last 2 to 4 uses and cost $15.00 for a replacement set. This expenditure can add up to anywhere from $202.50 to $405.00 per year in replacement tips, depending on how often you use the device and how many different areas of the body you treat during each use. PMD’s tips were not sanitizable , so the dead skin cells from the last treatment are still sitting there on the tip harboring bacteria for the next few uses before the tip must be replaced.
- RejuvadermMD has a powerful 5 volt motor with 16 Hg per inches squared of suction to exfoliate and stimulate the skin during each treatment. PMD would not disclose the suction power or the size of the motor over the phone or in chat. Customer care agreed to call me back more than once and never returned my call regarding the inquiry I made about the motor size and suction power of their units.
- RejuvadermMD comes with a 1 year warranty and the PMD offers a 6 month warranty. Need I say more?
- RejuvadermMD replacement filters are sold in packs of 100 that cost $25.00 each and should be changed out as often as necessary to keep the skin cell debris from building up inside the powerful motor. PMD filters are reusable. This again brings to mind the issue of sanitation.
It’s easy to see that RejuvadermMD is the smart choice in the end. It pays to do the research when investing in home microdermabrasion machines. Otherwise, you might find it costs you more time and money in the end to keep your skin looking its very best.
Post updated for 2019.