Red Light Therapy: The Complete Guide Including Use, Benefits, & Treatment
There are many benefits a person can get with red light therapy however, it can get costly to go to a salon or spa and undergo red light therapy in several sessions. Why not buy your own at-home red light therapy device and share the light with the rest of your family? We listed down the perks of using red light therapy and why it is a good investment.
Red Light Therapy Benefits
Red Light Therapy is 100% natural, chemical-free and drug-free means to combat signs of aging. Unlike chemical solutions or toners that you apply on your skin, the natural red light used in the LED lamp penetrates the skin to activate cellular activity. You do not have to let your skin seep all those chemicals that in the long run, can be toxic for you.
It is a painless, non-ablative and non-invasive procedure. All you need is to bask under the light and let it produce fibroblasts and collagen to correct signs of aging. No need to go under the knife or torture yourself with needles. It does not damage the skin and it requires zero downtime. All you need is 5 minutes and you can go on, apply makeup, go to work or go out with your friends without having to worry that your skin will look terrible.
This light therapy is safe for all skin types and has no known adverse side effects. This well-researched light therapy is FDA-approved and can easily be performed at home using a good quality at-home red light therapy device. It is safe for all ages. People with a limited range of motion or physical disability, children, and the elderly may need assistance in operating the device.
Treatment for Your Skin
Red light therapy penetrates different levels of the skin to excite cellular activity and increase blood supply to the skin's surface. Increased blood flow to the area means more nutrients and oxygen to nourish the skin cells. This also leads to the production of fibroblasts and collagen that aids in the correction and prevention of certain skin issues.
The use of red light therapy results to a healthier and glowing skin and helps achieve a smoother skin tone. It helps correct sun damage acquired through years of neglect. It can also diminish fine lines and wrinkles. It works great in reducing Crow's feet and it helps soften laugh lines and forehead wrinkles too.
It also hastens the skin's ability to heal blemishes like acne or small cuts or scrapes. Aside from that, it also supports the repair and creation of capillaries to reduce flushing or redness. Red light therapy also repairs and lighten stretch marks and scars.
Applications of Red Light Therapy
Because Red light therapy can help speed up the skin's ability to heal, it can be used to address numerous problems including the following:
- Acne and Inflamed Acne Marks. Although Red Light is not used to kill acne-causing bacteria, it will help reduce the inflammation brought about by acne. On the other hand, Blue Light Therapy is clinically proven to starve off P. acnes bacteria that is the most common cause of acne.
- Bites. Because of the red light's ability to speed up healing, punctures to the skin will be healed faster because of increased blood flow to the area.
- Bruises. Bruises are caused by leaking blood to the skin tissues either by a direct trauma or broken capillaries. Because the blood cannot go out of the body without any break to the skin, it gives off a bluish hue that is what we often call a bruise. Red light therapy will be able to deliver nutrient-rich blood supply to the area faster that will repair and aid in the formation of new capillaries.
- Minor Burns. Red Light Therapy does not give off heat so it will not add to the damage that burns cause. What it will do is increase the blood supply to the area so that our body's natural defenses will be able to do its work faster.
- Cuts, Scrapes and Wound Care. Like mentioned, increased blood flow to the area helps speed up the body's ability to repair itself naturally.
- Dry Skin and Psoriasis. Because of the increased blood flow to the surface of the skin being treated, more nutrients are delivered to that area. That means it quenches the thirst of the skin to be nourished. Oxygen-rich blood flows to the treated areas, also increasing the hydration brought about by good blood supply.
- Scars and Stretch marks. Stretch marks are brought about by saggy skin either from weight loss or aging. Collagen depletion from the body results in having loose, stretchy and saggy skin. Red light therapy helps stimulate collagen production thus preventing further development of stretch marks. It also helps lighten and diminish scars and even overall skin tone.
- Sun Damage. Red light is a superstar in correcting sun damage. UV-free LED bulbs are used to safely and effectively deliver red light therapy. The red light wavelength spurs cellular activity to help reverse sun damage. It can lighten age spots.
- Wrinkles. Because of loss of collagen, wrinkles start to creep up in our face (or neck). Red light therapy helps boost collagen and fibroblasts production to help correct these unsightly tell-tale signs of aging.
Treatment for Pain and Injury
Red light therapy speeds up the healing of wounds and injuries to the body and reduces inflammation too. It can improve range of motion which is a common problem for those who are experiencing arthritis, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and other forms of joint pains. It helps reduce pain for those who suffer fibromyalgia too.
Indeed, red light therapy can be used in many health problems related to the skin and other parts of the body. It is a good investment because it can address not only aesthetic problems, but it has also been proven to hasten wound repair, alleviate pain, and postpone the aging process.
Now the only question remains, does red light therapy work? If so, how does this technology work?