Red Light Therapy Treatment for Collagen, Wrinkles & Anti-Aging
The Truth: Red Light Therapy, Does It Help You Look Younger?
Red light therapy stimulates blood circulation and development of new capillaries. Because of this, more nutrients and oxygen is delivered to the skin that results to a healthier radiance. This light stimulus gives you that instant glow that people associate with healthy and young skin.
Red light therapy also increases lymphatic system activity to reduce puffiness and swelling. Because of the increased blood circulation, the lymphatic system does a better job in removing excess fluids and wastes from the skin tissues. The results are instantaneous and can be noticed after the first and succeeding treatment.
Red light therapy also boosts the production of collagen and fibroblasts. These two superheroes are what makes you achieve the youthful appearance overtime. Collagen (together with elastin) gives your skin the elasticity, firmness and fullness that somehow disappears when people age. The increased collagen and fibroblasts help reduce pore size, smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, and help improve and smooth out the texture of the skin.
Red light therapy powers up the cells to release Adenosine Triphosphate or ATP to increase the metabolism, cell regeneration and cellular processes. The release of cellular energy makes the most of the nutrients, oxygen, detoxification, growth and repair that is already started by exposure to red light treatment.
Red Light Therapy and its Anti-Aging Results
Red light therapy boosts blood circulation, collagen and fibroblasts production, and development of new capillaries. Because of these, red light has the power to smooth overall skin tone; reduce fine lines and wrinkles; repair sun-damaged skin; lighten and fade stretchmarks and scars; hasten the skin's capacity to heal blemishes; and diminish flushing, redness and broken capillaries.
How to Get Red Light Therapy
Red light therapy is available at your local dermatologist’s clinic, medical spas or beauty salons. Many spas also offer full body red light therapy beds and are sometimes called “Red Light Tanning.” This is offered to do a full-body treatment with the hopes of vanishing stretch marks and aging skin for the entire body. It is time-saving since professional devices can cover the entire face or body in a single treatment. However, this has to be done in a series of sessions since you cannot magically make the signs of aging disappear in one single treatment. Consecutive treatments are recommended to maintain and achieve the anti-aging results and could end up too costly to maintain.
Red light therapy can also be used at home. Thanks to the research of NASA, it is FDA-cleared and is proven to be safe and effective to be used at home. Numerous devices are available in the market that promises to deliver the same results as professional red light therapy devices.
Trophy Skin's very own hand held red light therapy treatment is quite popular, inexpensive, and easy to carry when traveling. Hands-free devices like full facial LED Panels are also available for those who do not want to hold the device for a certain timeframe. Although these are more expensive, it is capable to do a full facial treatment in one sitting and comparably more comfortable to use than hand-held versions.
What a Red Light Therapy Treatment Feels Like
Depending on what product you choose, red light therapy treatment has many things in common with traditional skin care solutions.
Although we recommend that you follow what the manufacturer recommends you to do, these things are standard practice:
- Wash your face to remove any product, grime, dirt and oil from your face. You do not want any extra layers to inhibit the light that is supposed to penetrate your skin to activate cellular changes.
- Depending on the product you choose, there is a certain timeframe that you need to follow to achieve the results you desire. It can range from a few seconds to 30 minutes, depending on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Depending on the manufacturer, you may opt to use the product once or twice a day, until you achieve the results you desire. You can then reduce the treatment time to twice or three times a week to continue getting results.
- Different people will react differently to the light therapy. Some report feeling a pulsating effect, some feel nothing at all. There is really no right or wrong sensation when it comes to light therapy. Although one thing is for sure, this treatment is painless and should not cause any discomfort while in use.
- There is no downtime in light therapy. You can apply your serums and moisturizers after the treatment. You can immediately apply make-up after each use.
- Remember that red light therapy improves blood circulation and nutrition to your skin. Applying a good quality serum or antioxidant maximizes the benefit you get in light therapy.
What to Expect
To document your journey to Red Light Therapy and see your results, it is helpful to get “before and after” pictures. This is an effective way to gauge how red light therapy works for you.
Red light therapy gives you the instant glow in your face however, it does not correct the fine lines and wrinkles overnight. Collagen production will take time and although red light boosts its creation, it will still take weeks, even months to see visible results.
The results you will get will be gradual as repair of skin tissue is a gradual process. There is no instant, magical, or overnight result you will get with red light therapy. It may not be instant but after each day, you and other people will notice the difference in your skin. In clinical studies, it takes at least 8 weeks to see visible results. Be patient. Your body is doing its work to reverse the hands of time.