Do You Make New Years Resolutions?
It’s the first week of January and most people are still gung-ho about their New Year’s Resolutions. Each year we start with strong motivation to make this year better than the last. It’s human nature to want more and to improve our lives. It’s also human nature to begin feeling overwhelmed and abandon your grand plan, instead falling back into comfortable habits.
Are you treating your skin well with great skincare habits?
I believe everyone should incorporate self care into their resolutions, or goals. Working for a skin care company, and being an advocate for healthy skin, I want to encourage you to take care of skin. Trophy Skin can help you reduce the damage of overexposure to elements, stress and everyday activities that take a toll on your skin. But even with the help of our skin care tools, you need to build skin care into your morning and evening routines.
Here are My Top 12 Skincare Tips to keeping your skin in great shape all year!
- Protect your skin from harmful rays - Wear a good, breathable sunscreen and watch this video
- Wash Your Face Before Bed - Never go to bed with makeup on. Prep your skin with a good skincare regimen like a microderm treatment followed by anti-aging serum and moisturizer. Your skin regenerates while you sleep, so give it all the tools available for the best results.
- Moisturize! - Especially in the winter months. Keeping your skin clean and free of dead skin cells will allow moisturizer to penetrate deeply and take care of your skin the way it is designed to. Use a humidifier during dry months as well.
- Be gentle. - Don’t excessively rub, pick at blemishes or stretch the skin around your eyes. This will reduce skin laxity, could cause scarring, accelerate wrinkles and cause infection.
- Stay hydrated - Drink water and herbal teas throughout the day. If you aren’t a “water drinker” try adding slices or fruit or cucumber, sparkling water or other flavor techniques.
- Add Healthy Fats to Your Diet - Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, and salmon along with colorful fruits & veggies, and organic protein sources are your nutritional prescription for great skin. Healthy fats are great for you skin, but also important for proper brain function and optimal digestion.
- Cut The Sugar - Sugar inhibits collagen production, which is responsible for keeping skin smooth, firm and young-looking. This snippet is from a Huffington Post article quoting Dr. Perricone: Dr. Perricone describes as "a burst of inflammation throughout the body." Inflammation produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin, resulting in sagging skin and wrinkles. Digested sugar permanently attaches to the collagen in your skin through a process known as glycation. Aside from increasing the effects of aging, glycation can also exacerbate skin conditions like acne and rosacea. Plus, the more sugar you eat, the more likely it is you'll develop insulin resistance, which can manifest as excess hair growth (hirsutism) and dark patches on the neck and in body creases.
- Manage stress levels - Yeah, I know. Easier said than done. Try taking a meditative bath several times a week, read a fun book, listen to relaxing music, talk to a friend, etc. It takes work but it can be done. Just don’t stress about it ;)
- Increase circulation - Do this by moving more aka exercise, dry brushing and microdermabrasion. We have DIY options for microdermabrasion available for you!
- Get enough sleep - At least 7-8 hours per night.
- Quit smoking - If you need more reason, smoking depletes moisture from the skin, clogs pores and makes skin drier and thus causing wrinkles to appear more prominent.
- Enlist High Tech Beauty Tools - Use the technology of home beauty tools to make skin care maintenance fun, easy and best of all - Effective! SHOP NOW
Leave us a comment with your New Year’s Resolution for 2015 or your must-do skin care secret. We can’t wait to hear from you!
HAPPY NEW YEAR, HAPPY NEW YOU!
Post updated for 2019.