Although you can pinpoint causes of pimples or acne such as hormonal changes, bingeing on oily and salty food, genetics, and poor hygiene, sometimes, we are clueless as to why we are breaking out. It is especially frustrating if you are keen on your skincare routine.
If you have ruled out everything else, it is mind-boggling what could be causing you to break out!
Let us talk about this simple ingredient that you may have overlooked. What comes to your mind when you think about sugar? Different people view it differently. Some would say it makes them happy and associate it with a rewarding feeling (think of satisfying a sweet tooth craving).
Some get stressed because a moment of indulgence will add an extra inch or two to their waistline or hips. Some get hyperactive due to a sugar rush. But what most people don’t realize is that this simple ingredient can lead to a number of skin problems.
Aside from pimples or acne, consuming sugar can also lead to a number of skin issues like oily skin, blackheads, whiteheads, uneven skin tone, wrinkles, dryness, broken blood vessels and skin dullness.
This is due to glycation or the process wherein sugar bonds to proteins in our body that eventually causes tissue damage.
Sugar has been pinpointed to cause premature aging as well! Cutting back on sugar will greatly improve your skin condition. Of course, you will still have to keep your A-game in your skin care routine.
Remember, you have to take care of your skin, from the inside and out:
- As you have learned, cut back on sugar. Try switching to honey instead.
- Try to eat more healthy and wisely. Choose healthy grains over fast-food. Munch on fruits and vegetables rather than donuts, pizzas, and fries.
- Use facial wash fit for your skin type. If you have oily skin, use a foam cleanser. If you have dry skin, use a cream-based cleanser. Look for cleansers with salicylic acid to address acne or pimple problems.
- Use clay masks to reduce oiliness. These are proven effective in absorbing excess oil and helps draw out skin impurities.
- Invest in LED light therapy devices. BlueMD is a superb tool in combatting acne and continuous use will help curb oiliness. RejuvaliteMD is also a great tool in preventing inflammation, aids in collagen production, and helps combat early signs of aging.
- Have plenty of rest. Having a good night’s rest makes a difference in your skin.
Hopefully, we have shed a new light on your skincare problems. We know it is difficult to remove sugar from your diet but at least now, you can make a conscious effort to avoid it if you can.
Post updated for 2019.